Gastric Band Surgery Cost (Gastric Band)
What is Adjustable Gastric Banding?
The adjustable gastric band is a silicone band that is placed around the upper part of the stomach. The gastric band is attached using a laparoscopy. The belt is controlled by a pump placed under the skin in the abdominal wall. The band diameter is adjusted (narrowed) by injecting a solution into the pump.
The gastric band reduces the size of the stomach and the amount of food it can hold. It also slows down the passage of food into the intestine. When the upper part of the stomach above the band is filled with food, the stomach sends signals to the brain, causing a feeling of fullness and satiety with less food consumed.
Who is the perfect patient for Adjustable Gastric Band surgery?
- Gastric band surgery is suitable for people who suffer from obesity (BMI more than 30) and have previously failed to reach the ideal weight by following the diet with exercise.
- The gastric band surgery is performed under general anesthesia and by laparoscopy through 3 openings in the abdomen, and the operation takes 30 minutes.
What are the advantages of the adjustable stomach band?
- Long-term weight loss for those who are obese.
- A quick return to normal life after the operation.
- Reducing the risk of developing diabetes, high blood pressure, and other conditions related to excess weight.
- No loss of nutrients, as in gastric bypass surgery.
- Improving the quality of life after the operation in many cases.
There is also an option to adjust the band diameter, which means that the band can be narrowed or expanded by injecting or withdrawing a solution from a pump placed under the skin. For example, if not enough weight is lost the band can be tightened, or if there is vomiting after eating, the band can be expanded.
On average, between 40% to 60% of the extra weight can be lost, but after installing the gastric band, we need continuous follow-up, adhering to the doctor’s instructions, modifying the lifestyle, and following a healthy lifestyle to reach good results.